Last weekend I managed to cross something off, if not my bucket list, then at least my stuff I really want to do list: attend an NYCFC match, sit pitchside, and go back into the players locker room. Can I say, my dreams were made! The best part of attending this game was NYCFC won! 2-0.
There are many reasons why someone may or may not want to attend a soccer match. There are some stories of fights, attacks and other foul play before, during and after a match. But when you are looking at all of the games played through the year, these are just a few incidents and should not steer you from attending a match. For the most part, going to a soccer match is quite fun and exciting, and a great taste of culture. Experiencing a NYCFC game live is a must. It’s actually one of my personal favorite sports to watch live.
When first walking into the iconic Yankee stadium and seeing the pitch, it’s amazing to know that NYCFC and The New York Yankees both call this home. The stadium is filled with tons of fans decked out in NYCFC gear. It is the perfect weekend event for families, friends, couples and even first dates. You also see a ton of fans representing other teams as well. It’s a place where all soccer fans come together.
Tips For Going To A Game:
As a women, the first thing I think about when planning a visit to a stadium is what to wear. After all, I want to look cute. What if David Villa comes up to me and wants to talk. I need to look look my best! Prior to attending the match, check the weather. If you are heading to one of the earlier games in the season, you want to keep warm because it’s probably going to be cold. Depending on the month, wear 2-3 layers plus a coat and let’s not forget your favorite NYCFC players jersey to show your support.
When planning to go to a soccer game, it is a good idea to do some pre-planning and prepare yourself for what to expect when at a match. The first thing you will want to do is familiarize yourself with soccer. Read up on the rules and history of the sport. This will help reduce questions during the game.
Here are some quick tips to ensure your day runs smoothly!
- If you’d like to see the teams warming up before the match, leave 1hr and 30mins before kick off. If you aren’t bothered and want to watch the match, leave 1hr before kick off. Depending on where you live.
- Park your car close and walk to the stadium. Parking usually costs around $42 unless you can find street parking.
- Check your ticket and head to the turnstile. When arriving at the turnstile, you will probably be checked by security so it’s best to only come in with the necessities.
- Be sure to have a restroom break before doing anything else. The toilets usually get pretty busy at halftime so its best to force yourself to go.
- If you are buying a drink or food, head to the bars before going to your seats. Stadium food includes: burgers, hot dogs etc. Prices vary on each item.
- Find your seats and read the program, eat your food and watch the players warm up until kick off.
- Enjoy the match!
Chanting is a must at any Football match. Don’t worry if you can’t understand the chants at first, they are frequent so make sure to pay attention and listen closely because by the end of the match, you will definitely be joining in and participating to your fullest. Be aware that these chants have forever been stuck in my mind from matches.
Pay Close Attention.
Make sure to pay attention to what’s going on in the match. The stadium television monitors do not show replays. The main reason is for the referees safety. Don’t waste time waiting for the replay because they won’t come. The best solution is to put away any distractions such as your phone and enjoy living in the moment.
Be sure to sit in the right section.
Each stadium is divided into a home section and an away section. The majority of stadiums do not include a neutral section, so you are either a fan of NYCFC or a fan of team B, you cannot be both. Dress and act according to where you sit. Don’t support the home club in the away section and vice versa. This will only result in negative attention.
We sat pitch side during the match, which would be like sitting courtside at a Knicks game. Go big or go home right? Here are some of the perks sitting pitch side:
- Fans have access to Five-Star dining in the Legends Suite and Pepsi Club before being taken though Monument Park, the legendary Yankees bullpen, and field where the closest seats in the Stadium await them alongside the teams’ benches.
- The only way to get closer is by being in the starting lineup. I offered but I guess they didn’t need an extra player that day!
- If you are a big NYCFC fan you can purchase pitch side seating as a full season and partial season plans as well as for groups outings of 12-16 people.
- For more information fans can go to www.nycfc.com/pitchside, call 855-77-NYCFC (855-776-9232) and press 2 for Premium Seating, or email VIP@nycfc.com.
Now that you have all the knowledge of how to act, what to wear and what to expect, it is a must for you to see a NYCFC game live. The game live is far more entertaining and a one of a kind experience. Watching a match on television doesn’t give it justice. So get your cutest outfit on and get ready to experience a once in a lifetime experience.
* This post is sponsored by NYCFC