In less than a month’s time, we will be kicking off the unofficial start of summer. And you know what that means — outdoor entertaining season will be in full swing! So it’s with that in mind that today I’m sharing a guest favorite and super simple Memorial Day Taco Dip.
I can bet that many of you can whip this quick dish up with items you already have stocked in your fridge. But if I’m being full transparent here, fresh produce isn’t always readily available in mine, so I count on Walmart for all my food delivery needs. It’s super convenient to be able to order items last minute. And although my situation is super specific, having this quick delivery option for any impromptu hosting or even just being pressed for time, really comes in clutch.
With Memorial Day festivities soon approaching, I wanted to start prepping some appetizer ideas and came across the original recipe for this dip here. I loved the themed flag presentation, and the ingredients and recipe looked easy enough. I am no self-proclaimed cook, in fact I’m more likely to put together an easy charcuterie board, but I can testify this dish was simple to make and def a crowd pleaser!
- 2 8- oz packages light cream cheese softened
- 1 jar (16oz) chunky salsa
- 1 cup (8oz) light sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese 4-cheese Mexican or cheddar
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 bag (9oz)blue corn tortilla chips plus more for serving
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheeseshredded
- I deli slice white cheddar cheese or similar
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- Beat the cream cheese, salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese and green onions in a large bowl until blended. Spread mixture into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Crush enough blue tortilla chips to make 1 cup; set aside the remaining chips for serving. Arrange the crushed tortilla chips in a rectangle on the upper left-hand corner of the cream cheese mixture, measuring about 5 x 4-inches.
- Using a small (1½ inch) star cookie cutter, cut star shapes from the slice of white cheese. Arrange stars on the chips.
- Combine the chopped pepper with the quartered tomatoes in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the tomato mixture and the Monterey Jack cheese in alternating rows, about one inch each. (I put all the red stripes in first, then filled in between with the cheese). And there you have it, a beautiful American Flag treat that will surely impress and delight all family members and guests.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.
If you try this one, be sure to tag me on IG…would love to see your creations!